This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, we may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Supplies used may be given to us free of charge, all projects and opinions are my own.
Have you ever dreamed up a recipe you couldn’t wait to try? That’s how these Mashed Potato Mozzarella Cheese Sticks were born! You’ll love this easy recipe.
Updated 5/2022 to include more information.
Recently my husband described to me a recipe he had dreamed up. Image this, a mozzarella stick wrapped in mashed potatoes then breaded and fried. Mashed potato mozzarella sticks sounded like a the next recipe I had to make!
The great thing about this recipe is it’s perfect for those left over mashed potatoes. They are easy to put together for an appetizer or an after school snack.
How to make homemade Mashed Potato Mozzarella Sticks
To make mashed potato cheese sticks you’re going to need the following ingredients:
Panko Bread Crumbs
All purpose flour
Step by step instructions:
- Place flour, egg, and bread crumbs in separate bowls.
- Cut mozzarella into sticks.
- Have cold mashed potatoes in large bowl
- Take a small ball of cold mashed potatoes and flatten slightly into your hands. Cold mashed potatoes are much easier to work with.
- Press mozzarella cheese strip into the potatoes and cover the whole mozzarella stick evenly.
- While you want the entire piece of mozzarella covered you don’t want the mashed potatoes too thick. If the potatoes are too thick they will take too long to fry. If that happens the outside will be too done and the cheese won’t melt.
- I rolled the mashed potatoes between my hands to help make them more uniform all the way around.
- Once you have all your cheese sticks rolled in mashed potatoes it’s time for the breading.
How to apply breading
- First roll your mashed potato mozzarella stick in plain flour. Make sure to coat it completely.
- Next, dunk your flour covered stick in the egg. Again, make sure to coat completely.
- Last, cover completely with panko bread crumbs. I like to pat the bread crumbs down to make sure they’re stuck well.
How to fry mashed potato mozzarella sticks
Add vegetable oil to a frying pan deep enough to submerge mashed potato mozzarella sticks. Heat oil on medium high heat until it bubbles when you dip the edge of the stick into it. Reduce to medium heat.
Drop sticks into the hot oil. If your oil isn’t deep enough to cover your potato stick flip halfway through cooking. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes until all sides are golden brown.
Drain on a baking tray lined with paper towels. We enjoyed these barely cooled and dipped in ranch dressing.
These turned out better than I could have imagined. The combination of mashed potatoes and mozzarella is a match made in heaven. Although next time I might try with Italian seasoning panko crumbs and a cheddar stick.
Mashed Potato Mozzarella Sticks in Air Fryer
When I originally created these mashed potato mozzarella sticks Air Fryers weren’t really a thing. I didn’t own one and no one I knew did either.
Since Air Fryers have become a household staple we’ve been asked over and over “Can I make mashed potato mozzarella sticks in an Air Fryer?”. I haven’t personally tried this yet, it’s on my to-do list but I can’t think of any reason you couldn’t.
Based on our Air Fryer experience we would recommend cooking in an air fryer at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until the outside is golden brown. We also recommend spraying the tray and sticks with cooking spray.
These are so delicious and pretty filling too! They would pair really well with our copy cat Chick Fil A chicken nuggets. I’m really excited to experiment with other cheeses, and adding ham, bacon, and other fun stuff into the mix! What would you try first?
Mashed Potato Mozzarella Sticks
A delicious way to use leftover mashed potatoes. Mashed Potato Mozzarella Sticks are quick, easy, and delicious.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, cold
- (I added chives, and seasoned my potatoes with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.)
- 4 oz mozzarella cut into sticks
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 – 2 eggs, whisked
- oil for frying
- Slice Mozzarella into equal sticks.
- Separate cold mashed potatoes into equal sections.
- Flatten mashed potatoes in your hand.
- Place mozzarella stick in the middle of the mashed potatoes.
- Wrap mozzarella stick with mashed potatoes, coat evenly all the way around.
- Place mashed potato covered mozzarella stick in flour and coat evening.
- Dip in wisked egg.
- Coat in Panko Bread Crumbs.
- Pat down bread crumbs to keep them from falling off.
- Place in heated oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until all sides are golden brown.
- Cool on paper towel until grease is drained off.
- Serve hot with ranch dressing on the side.
Do you love Mozzarella cheese? Here are a few other recipes you should try!
- RootsTech Genealogy Conference - February 11, 2023
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Compote - February 6, 2023
- Tuscan Chicken - February 3, 2023
These look heavenly Paula! As soon as I saw potato and cheese.. I was sold! Pinning these for sure.
Thank you so much!!!
Um….wow! I know some people that would be big fans of these! Thanks for sharing!
YAY! Thank you!
Yum! Thanks. Pinned!
What a neat idea. I never would have thought to bread anything with mashed potatoes. I bet it would be good on chicken tenders too. Like a meal in a bite!
Thank you! Chicken would be awesome!!!
Oh my goodness these sound amazing! I’m a potato loving girl, and am going to have to try these!
Thank you! Let me know how you like them!!
Um… These look unreal! Need to try them soon xx
Sending a thousand “thank you” to your husband. What a creative idea! I wouldn’t have thought of that at all. I’m a huge fan of both mozzarella and potatoes, so the marriage of them in a “fry ceremony” is heaven sent.
Thank you Reginia! I’ll make sure to tell him you said thank you! 🙂
LOVE! I could eat a whole batch of these 😀
Thanks Chrisy! I DID eat a whole batch!! 🙂
YUM! Mozz sticks and potatoes are my favorite. This seems like an awesome combo!
Thank you! They turned out even better than I expected!
This looks AMAZING! I just pinned and hope to make next time we have some leftover mashed potatoes!
Thank you Ashley!!
Wow, these look amazing! I can’t wait to give them a try. Do I have to wait for dinner? Breakfast would be ok, right?! 😀
Thank you! I told my husband that if I add bacon, it’s basically breakfast!! 😀
This is a great idea. I can’t wait to try making them. Thanks for the recipe.
Thank you! Let me know how you like them!
I love mashed potatoes. Like I can eat it everyday. So I need to try and make this recipe.
Thank you! We loved them, so let me know what you think when you make them!
How original. It’s pure genius and I just can’t wait to try! Stopping by from The Ultimate Recipe Challenge.
Wow what a fabulous idea! Can you please send over a dozen. 😉 Great recipe!
Oh yes!! I These are everything I like. Thanks for sharing for our next family party.
Oh boy, these sound really good. Potatoes and cheese always go together. A great appetizer for a get together for sure.
They were so good. I agree, potatoes and cheese are a great combination!
Oh my heavens, that looks fabulous!
They were so good! I hope you’ll try them out!
Cheese. Potatoes. Breaded. Fried. Wellp, looks like you hit all of my buzzwords! These look INCREDIBLE!!