This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, we may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Supplies used may be given to us free of charge, all projects and opinions are my own.
So a few weeks ago a friend of mine brought me over a piece of cake that she had made using Crystal Light lemonade. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical but when I tasted it I couldn’t believe how great it was! After tasting it, it inspired me to whip up this little guy…
I’m really happy with the way these turned out! I love the sweetness of the cupcake and frosting combine with the tanginess of the lemonade.
While looking for a base for my cupcake I stumbled across Glorious Treats. I fully encourage you to head over to her blog and check out all the deliciousness! I also encourage you to read the history behind her Perfect Vanilla Cupcake. I have to give her a HUGE thanks for take the time to come up with the delicious recipe!
Adapted from Glorious Treats
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 individual size packets Crystal Light Lemonade mix
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil)
1/2 cup buttermilk
* Preheat oven to 350*F.
* In a medium bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together with whisk, and set aside.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and oil, beat.
* Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined. Scrap down the side of the bowl. Don’t over mix.
* The batter will be thin. Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners about 2/3 full.
* Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 12-14 minutes.
* Cool in pan 1-2 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan (carefully) and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Strawberry Lemonade Buttercream Frosting
Cream together 1 cup of softened butter and 3 cups powdered sugar, adding sugar 1/3 cup at a time.
Mix on low speed until blended, then mix on medium for 3 mins.
Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of whipping cream. Add 3/4 individual size packet of Crystal Light Lemonade mix.
Fold in 1/2 cup of chopped, ripe strawberries.
After cupcakes have cooled frost with the buttercream and garnish with a strawberry. 🙂
© The REAL Housewives of Riverton, 2011-2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owners is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to The REAL Housewives of Riverton with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.